Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How to Dunk Higher - Improve Your Vertical Leap

People like me who have tried everything to increase their vertical leap and learn how to dunk higher must read this. I have tried Air Alert, The Science of Jumping, Strength Shoes, and many other programs coaches have made me do. Nothing has worked. The code has finally been cracked as I have increased my vertical by 8 inches using a simple, innovative formula. This new formula truly is the answer I have been searching for. It is quickness x strength = explosion.

This formula is the key! It all makes so much sense now. If your leg muscles are very strong, but you cannot jump high then you must increase their quickness. What I mean by that is that you must increase the speed in which the muscles fire (contract). If you have very quick firing muscles and cannot jump high then you must increase your strength. This is where many jump programs fail. They do not focus on strength and only have the player use plyometrics to increase their vert, but if you look at the formula that's only half of it. That's why some people only do plyometrics and see great results and other do not and vise versa with squats.

Many people think that if you can squat a lot of weight then you should be able to jump high. Wrong! Jumping uses mostly fast twitch muscles. This sort of training recruits an entirely different type of muscle fiber. If that same person has great leg strength they must now focus on getting those muscles to fire quicker. This is where plyos come in because that is their specialty, but if you do not have the strength to begin with you cannot get those muscles to fire fast enough.

Have you ever wondered why some guys can jump out of the building and they have what look like skinny, weak legs? Skinny, yes...Weak, no. These type of legs have extremely fast firing muscles (plus some structural things with their bodies) in their skinny calves. Take a look at their "butts" and their upper thighs. This is where all their strength is hidden. 90% of these type people have "big butts" and thick thighs in comparison to the rest of their body's structure.

I'm just trying to tell whoever reads this that I personally have used a jumping program that uses this quickness x strength = explosion formula and gotten results. I haven't increase my vert by 20 inches and I haven't doubled it, but for a guy who has tried and everything and failed to gain 8 inches is pretty good I think. Don't you? I have gone from barely getting a one-foot-one-hand dunk on good days to dunking with two hands, throwing it off the back board, and on good days an awkward 360. What is even better though is that I can dunk in games now, which I never would believe before I learned this new formula.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Augie_Johnston

No comments: